Monday, September 12, 2011

Flashlight Experiment!

I had a flashlight of medium strength about the same intensity of the one we use in the classroom. I went into a big dark room and shined the flashlight on the wall in front of me. I observed that there was no defined beam like one would see with a spotlight. While there was no defined beam I did see a beam when dust particles would fly through where I was shining the flashlight. I also observed that there was a circle on the wall where I was shining the light. There was a smaller more concentrated circle in the middle of a bigger dimmer circle of light. The light did not fill the entire room and only illuminated the spot where I was pointing the flashlight.
I then went into a dark hallway and shined the light down it like we had discussed in class. I observed that the lights filled the room and showed on the walls next to me. The corners of the hallway behind the flashlight were not illuminated. There still was no defined beam of light from the flashlight. I also observed dust particles making the beam of light noticeable. There was no smaller concentrated circle or larger dimmer circle because the farther the light moved away from the source it became weaker.  

1 comment:

  1. Nice observations!

    I did some similar experiments and had similar observations. I also noticed a more concentrated/brighter light in the middle of the circle created by the flashlight. I think it might be brighter in the middle of the circle because the light is coming from the bulb in the flashlight and is therefore a more direct source of light.

    I also shined a flashlight down a hallway. I was surprised that I did not see a beam of light. I did see a beam of light when I went outside at night and used a stronger flashlight. I think the strength/wattage of the flashlight, brightness or darkness of your surroundings, and moisture in the air determine seeing a beam.

    ReplyDelete